The directors of Electronic Arts and DICE have now announced that the first person shooter “Star Wars Battlefront 2” will not receive a season pass. Instead the developers would like to think of something better.
Last Saturday, Electronic Arts and DICE officially announced the first-person shooter “Star Wars Battlefront 2” for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the PC. In addition to a single-player campaign, the players will also receive an extensive multiplayer, Publication of the main game on 17 November 2017 with new content.
In the past, DICE has always provided a premium passport for both Star Wars Battlefront and the Battlefield series, which offers access to four major extensions at a price of just under $ 50. In addition to new multiplayer maps, they also introduced new game modes, weapons, vehicles and other content. But with the new “Star Wars Battlefront 2” you now have to skip a premium or Season Pass.
DICE does not want to share the community anymore
In a recent interview with Mashable, Creative Director Bernd Diemer has confirmed that you will not have a season pass. Instead, Electronic Arts works on another model that deals with the additional content.
“I can not talk about the details, but we have something else in mind that allows you to play longer, to be more invested in the game without having a shared community,” Diemer said. Because in the predecessor one could only play with a fraction of the community, if one did not possess all the download contents. This made it difficult to find a game.
According to Diemer, it is “dangerous” for the health of a player base when cards and game modes are only available to those who pay money for them. “The community is falling apart because there are simply not many players who play the different game modes,” it says. “So we want to avoid this. We do not want to divide our community.”
After Electronic Arts had already provided multiplayer maps and game modes at “Titanfall 2” free of charge and only cosmetic items were linked to microtransactions, “Star Wars Battlefront 2” now seems to be striking a similar model.
“We chose it, and it’s one of those difficult decisions because it brings so many implications.” When we looked at how Battlefront had evolved over the runtime, with the DLCs and everything else We decided, “You know what?” Season passes are not the best for this type of game, we have to take it apart and think of something better. “”
Electronic Arts also stressed that they are aware of the feedback on the Livedienst plans for “Star Wars Battlefront”. The plans for the successor should be announced in time. “While we are not ready to confirm any Livedienst plans, we can say this: we heard loud and clear the feedback from our Battlefront community,” an official statement from the publisher states. “We know that they want more depth, more progress, and more content, so we’re concentrating on delivering this to every extent of Star Wars Battlefront 2. We’ll soon be able to share more about our plans.”